Unbelievably, she gave up her acting career at the ripe old age of 21. And she did it right before her “big break” – starring in an A movie opposite Spencer Tracy.
Nonetheless, she somehow managed to garner 17 credits in her four-year career, most of them in classic B’s, and typically as the “bad girl.” In the end, though, she really just wanted to get married (she and her husband had been married 56 years when Marla died in 2010), have kids (she ended up with five), and live a normal life.
Cheesy Pageant Titles
- Fairest of the Fair, Del-Mar Fair
- Miss Scorpion, U.S. Air Force's "Flying Tiger" Squadron
- Miss Fiber Flower, National Florist Design Association
- Runaway Daughters
- Casanova’s Big Night
- Hell’s Horizon
- The She Creature *
- Voodoo Woman
* - author has seen
- They called her "JAILBAIT"!
- Hypnotized! Reincarnated as a monster from hell!
- A woman by day... a monster by night!
- So savage, so stark, so vicious, it'll make your skin crawl!
- If ever a picture was crammed with guts, this is it.
- Princess Zara
- Wild Willow
Unlikely Spouses & Boyfriends
- Dean Martin
- Howard Hughes
Whiffs of Scandal:
- Playboy appearance
- Appearances in mags such as Plush, Mr., and Scamp
- Was a champion water skier as a teen
- Began modeling at age 12
- Had a bit part in Rear Window
- Became a born-again Christian after attending a Bill Graham crusade
- Lived on a remote ranch in northern Nevada for many years
- After retiring from the movies, was notoriously private and reclusive
Where can I learn more?
Marla and friend