* - author has her autograph
Beverly Garland retired with an incredible 191 credits, over a 54-year career. Though she started out with a fair amount of grade Z stuff (she was a favorite of Roger Corman), she eventually focused almost totally on TV.
There, Beverly appeared on shows as diverse as The Lone Ranger, Kung Fu, The Twilight Zone, Charlie’s Angels, Friends, and Love American Style. Her specialty, though, seemed to be moms. In fact, she’s probably best known for being Fred MacMurray’s second wife on My Three Sons.
Returning to the movies, I really like this quote of hers on acting in B’s in general and being a scream queen in particular:
You don't have to act in these pictures. All you have to do is possess a good pair of lungs. I can scream with more variations from shrill to vibrato than any other girl in pictures.
Embarrassing Real Name: Beverly Fessenden
- Curucu, Beast of the Amazon
- The Neanderthal Man *
- Swamp Women *
- The Alligator People *
- Not of This Earth *
- It Conquered the World *
* - author has seen
- Temptation and terror ... in a savage land of wild desire!
- Flaming passions against a background of weird adventure!
- SEE! THE HIDEOUS "FLYING FINGERS" OF THE MONSTER!
- Mauvis Meade
- Coco LaSalle
- Cookie LaRue
- Calliope Catesby
- Smudgeface WAC
- Edgar the Swamp Witch
Number of Marriages: 3
Shortest Marriage: 4 months
Unlikely Spouses & Boyfriends: Roger Corman
- Owned and operated Beverly Garland’s Holiday Inn, in L.A.
- Her last husband had the wonderful name of Filmore Pajeau Crank
- Retired at age 77
Where can I learn more?
- Beverly Garland: Her Life and Work
- LA Times obit
- Glamour Girls of the Silver Screen
- Brian's Drive-In Theater
- The Garland (hotel)